Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Time for candy corn

Fall isn't exactly my favorite season. I don't like the idea of winter being around the corner. Dark evenings and cold weather just aren't my ideas of a good time. However, there are some benefits to the plunging temperatures.

  • Cozy sweaters. A girl's got to have something to keep her snuggly and warm when sunshine becomes scarce.
  • Chili. My mom's chili is the best ever. Forget soupy chili with crackers. I love a thick and meaty chili with a warm tortilla. Plus, I have to brag that Trevor hated chili until he tried this recipe.
  • TV. Finally the wait is over, and I have some decent television to watch. My favorites include Glee, Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives.
  • Pumpkins. Not that you have to wait until fall to have pumpkin-flavored things. I have an awesome recipe for pumpkin muffins that I make several times this season. Plus you can't forget the pumpkin roll that made its first appearance at Thanksgiving last year. I think it will be returning for an encore performance. There are also pumpkin pies, pumpkin spice lattes and I most recently saw pumpkin ice cream. I'm going to have to give that one a try.

  • Candy corn. This is the one kind of candy that I can buy at the store knowing full well that Trevor won't hog the whole bag while I'm shopping or working. He absolutely hates it, which is great for me because I love it! I love to nibble each little piece in three bites. First the white tip, then the orange center, and finally the yellow end. Yum! The only problem with not sharing is that by the time my candy corn runs out a month later, I am sick of the stuff. Until next year that is.

And my favorite reason to deal with having a fall season instead of moving to a tropical climate...
  • Halloween! I absolutely adore celebrating Halloween. Without fail, I adorn a costume and either throw my own Halloween bash or visit a friend's house for a get-together. This year Halloween will be special at the Bailey residence. This will be our first Halloween as a married couple and we are starting off our traditions with a huge Halloween bash. We scheduled said bash because 1. I love Halloween and 2. We really needed an excuse to renovate our basement bar. When we moved in, our basement rocked out the 1970s look complete with orange curtains and orange corduroy seat cushions. GAG ME!! By the time our guests arrive they will step downstairs into our very own K-State bar, complete with paint actually called "KSU Purple." We plan on painting this weekend. I will post-up pictures soon of the before and after. In the meantime, I am debating what to be for Halloween. Perhaps Lucille Ball? The only downfall is that Trevor isn't excited about being Ricky Ricardo. I am open to suggestions. In the meantime, here is a little taste of past costumes. (Yes, Trevor is wearing a wig.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...